The Asplenium Nidus, also known as the Birds Nest Fern, has a distinctive shuttlecock like effect due to slightly wavy edged, lance shaped fronds. The evergreen fern boasts beautiful broad glossy green leaves. The Asplenium Nidus is ideally suited to a more humid area of the house (i.e. bathroom or kitchen) and prefers moderate / indirect sunlight. New leaves appear from the central area of the plant which performs best in indoor temperatures between 15-21 degrees Celsius.
Watering and Maintenance
Please see below for tips to keep your plant perfectly happy and healthy!
- The Asplenium Nidus prefers moderate / indirect sunlight. It does not like full sunlight or full shade.
- Good drainage is important to prevent root rot.
- Like all ferns, the Asplenium Nidus needs a lot of water. Make sure that the potting soil is always slightly moist, but do not water too much at once to prevent roots rot.
- Mist the leaves regularly with water – particularly in winter when the central heating is turned on.
- Plants To Your Door Tip: Repot in the spring into a pot that is 15/20% larger when the plant becomes root bound.