The Aspidistra Elatior is also known as the Cast Iron Plant due to its indestructible nature. The plant can cope with some neglect making it a great choice for a beginner grower. Its dark green paddle shaped leaves are evergreen, with only small amounts of new foliage growth produced annually. The Aspidistra Elatior is ideally suited to be placed in dark places in the home or office although it can be placed in almost any light condition (however strong sun isn’t ideal). This plant needs little light and humidity and thrives on being pot-bound. Repot only when the roots are coming out of the pot.
Watering and Maintenance
The Aspidistra Elatior requires little maintenance. Please see below for tips to keep your plant perfectly happy and healthy!
- The Aspidistra prefers not to be in the sun. With too much sunlight, the leaves of the aspidistra will turn yellow.
- Good drainage is important to prevent root rot.
- The Aspidistra is grown as a pot plant and can tolerate cold up to 5 ° C.
- Forgetting to water or watering irregularly is not a problem due to its indestructible nature.
- Overwatering: If brown spots appear on the leaves reduce watering.
- Plants To Your Door Tip: Cover the soil and rinse the leaves in the shower once every 3 months to prevent pests and keep the foliage dust free.